Aged care assistant
Ottoman Village Aged Care
Ottoman Village Aged Care is a not-for-profit aged care organisation, managed by the community. It is part of the Broadmeadows Turkish Islamic Society. It is a 32-bed, quality residential and respite care service for frail older people and people with disability. It provides aged care to people of Turkish-speaking background. Ottoman Village Aged Care overlooks the Broadmeadows Valley and is situated among picturesque surroundings. The setting provides for a tranquil lifestyle whilst being located in close proximity to the Broadmeadows shopping complex, community health care and public transport.
Ottoman Village Aged Care provides culturally sensitive and responsive care and services for older people and people with disability who require assistance with day-to-day livings tasks and who can no longer maintain themselves safely in their home.
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to develop a wide range of skills including;
- Working with a diverse range of people
- Identifying and responding to care recipient needs
- Following safe work practices relating to care recipient care
- Assisting with movement
- Complying with infection prevention and control
- Provide First Aid
Work Related Skills, such as Workplace Health and Safety, teamwork, communication, time management, critical and creative thinking, are vital in this workplace.
Typical Tasks & Duties
Students will assist with a range of activities to support older people of Turkish-speaking background. These activities may be onsite on in the community and will include:
- Assisting with leisure and lifestyle activities
- Supporting community participation such as shopping and excursions.
- Students will not be involved in providing personal care but will be able to observe what personal care workers or kitchen staff do.
- Deliver meals to care recipients, set tables, clear dishes, but would not be involved in cooking.
- Provide companionship to care recipients and taking them for a walk
NB. Students are excluded from activities of a highly personal nature (eg. showering, changing incontinence pads)
Whilst student may operate some machinery under supervision (eg. wheelchairs, lifting equipment), students are excluded from full weight bearing of clients.
This placement is best suited to VCAL or students undertaking VET studies in Health, Community Services, Aged Care or Individual Support. The employer is looking for a caring, friendly, open and supportive student who is comfortable working with high care older people.The placement student will be expected to comply with the Ottoman Village Aged Care confidentiality and discretion policies at all times.
A pre-placement visit / interview will be required to ensure both parties are clear on expectations, including attendance, dress requirements and duties.
Neat casual, closed toe shoes. Discreet jewelry. Hair and appearance should be neatly maintained. It is OK for the student to wear a scarf.
Full requirements to be discussed at interview.
Special Transport Requirements
The facility is close to public transport, and parking is available on site. Please refer to https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- HLT33015 - Certificate III in Allied Health Assistance