MECHANICAL ENGINEERING PLACEMENT AT BLUESCOPE
- TERM 3 COMMENCEMENT
BlueScope is a global leader in premium steel products. The facility at Western Port in Hastings manufactures a broad range of products for the building and construction industry including brands such as Colorbond®. BlueScope are offering a number of terrific SWL placements across all areas of the business in 2017.
Students will have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in this unique steel manufacturing environment, with the potential to transition to apprenticeships or traineeships down the track.
BlueScope are offering a number of placements for students who are currently studying Certificate II in Engineering or higher. These placements, across a variety of areas at the Westernport facility, will give you the chance to work with and observe highly skilled professionals in this unique manufacturing environment. This is a fantastic chance to get a great insight into large scale engineering work, with the possibility of pathways to future apprenticeships with BlueScope Steel
Skills You Might Learn
Students may have the opportunity to attain a broad range of skills while on work placement. These will include valuable general employability skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
Students may attain vital industry specific skills which will also relate to their studies such as:
- Hands-on practical experience
- Observing and learning from industry qualified and experienced professionals
- Working in real-life scenarios and environments
- Working with tools and equipment necessary to the occupation and business
- Liaising and working with colleagues, bosses, customers/clients and suppliers.
Typical Tasks & Duties
During your placement, you may undertake the following:
- Participate in quality and specification analysis.
- Data analysis
- Participate in inspections and routine and scheduled maintenance.
- Participate in equipment change over
- Participate in workshop activities
- Stack, store and inventory materials
- Observe OH&S procedures on site
- Apply safe handling and use of plant and power tools
As this is a large scale manufacturing environment, students must adhere to stringent occupational health and safety rules. All students will participate in BluesScope Steel’s OH&S induction prior to the commencement of the placement.
Students entering these engineering placements must have completed the required OH&S unit aligned with their electrical VET course.
Students are to have a genuine desire to pursue a pathway in the the mechanical engineering industry, be technical and process driven.
Being a large manufacturing facility, BlueScope has a strict dress policy to ensure your safety when on site. You will be advised at interview of the dress requirements you must adhered to during your placement. Failure to meet these dress requirements at any time will prevent you from attending placement
Special Transport Requirements
Student is to arrange own transport to and from the employer. Not near public transport.
Student may need to travel on site with supervisor so a travel consent form will need to be signed off.
RELATED COURSES INCLUDE
- 22209VIC - Certificate II in Engineering Studies
- MEM20105 - Certificate II in Engineering
- MEM20413 - Certificate II in Engineering Pathways
- MEM30205 - Certificate III in Engineering - Mechanical Trade